September 5th, 2010
Thuy Linh
## Clementi Ave 1,
Singapore 123456
Ms Anna Gaspar,
65 Chulia Street, OCBC Centre,
#40-05, Singapore 049513
Dear Ms Gaspar,
I am a graduate from National University of Singapore, majoring in Quantitative Finance. With four years of training in Option and Derivatives and an enthusiasm for capital markets, I am confident that I would be an asset for OCBC Trading Desks.
As a graduate in Quantitative Finance, I have acquired skills in regression modeling and asset value valuation and have participated in mock simulations. My interest in derivatives is proven by my distinction in Financial Math modules
During my internship in Natixis, Forex Trading department, I accomplished a modeling project for trading strategy. In my project, a study on Volatility and Correlation of different currency pairs was used to strategize Forex trading. Arbitrage opportunity was indentified and created profitable trading opportunities. My experiences on the trading desks motivated me to become a trader. I feel certain that my skills and interests would be a good match for your trader-training program.
I have attached my resume for your review and would be interested in discussing my qualifications in more detail. I will contact you next week to see if there is a convenient time to meet in person. Please contact me at 773- 555-1212 or at thuylinh@nus.edu.sg should you have any questions about my background. I look forward to speaking with you. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Ngo Thuy Linh
When I see your application letter the first thing that comes to my mind is that the font of the letter is too small. Then there is a problem in the format because you are supposed to include your particulars first before writing the details of the company you are applying for.
ReplyDeleteIn the body of the letter you have included relevant information for your job. But you could have mentioned any CCA which would reveal your interpersonal skills. Because as fresh graduates we do not have any experience except for internships and so we can always include CCAs.
Anyways I wish you all the best for your dream job.
Hi Linh!
ReplyDeleteI think your application letter is quite well supported with very relevant experiences that is useful to the job you are applying for. Good job on highlighting those skills you have acquired in your internship!
However, perhaps it would be better to make it clearer to the reader straight in the first paragraph where you have found the job advertisement and specifically what position you are seeking with OCBC (:
Another small suggestion I have is that you can consider adding a paragraph on why you chose to work in OCBC Trading Desks (perhaps say something good about OCBC, their vision, mission or reputation, that you wish to join them so much)?
Overall, your format is good and you have stated very clearly/politely how the company can contact you on top of taking the initiative to contact them in 1 week, to ask about the status of your application.
Great effort Linh! All the best in your job application! (:
Hi Linh,
ReplyDeleteI must say it is a very well written application letter.
However, it would be more powerful if you included a paragraph on your interest for joining OCBC and the ways you can contribute to the bank.Also, in the first paragraph, you might want to mention where you got hold of the job advertisement.
Nonetheless, you have mentioned your qualifications precisely, so that is definitely a bonus as you are very specific about your area of interest.
All the best in attaining your dream job !